Friday, August 13, 2010

Family Fun Friday

Well, Friday again. This week wasn't so much fun. It started out last Friday by my sweet Lylah Rose getting a fever of 102 degrees. Which for a 4 week old is bad news. Bad. News.

I took her to the insta-care. They wouldn't see her due to age and me suing the pants off them if they got it wrong. Chickens. So my only other resort was the ER.
I guess I didn't really know how serious it was, or was so naive that I thought I would be home in an hour. Okay, it was the ER, so I guess more like three hours.

I was surprised when they took her right back to a bed when there were a lot of other people waiting to be seen, but I thought they just wanted medicine for her fever.

After the doctor examined her, he simply stated that we needed to run a series of tests. By a series of tests, they mean everything. I thought I could handle it. First they needed a IV. So they poked her foot and she started screaming. They could get in because her veins were still so tiny. They ended up poking her in 5 different places. She was screaming so much she was holding her breath and turning blue.

I had to leave. I went outside the room and cried.

I wished that had been the worst of it. They also ordered a spinal tap to rule out spiral meningitis. Remember the small veins? Well that was no exception here. After two different doctors trying, they called in a specialist from the NICU. He was able to get what he needed on the third spinal tap.

I was a mess. Little Lylah Rose was surrounded by a room of hospital staffers, crying hysterically with the bed all bloody from poke after poke. Finally one of the staffers led me to what he called a 'chill out room'.

Chill out room. How quaint.

I have to say that all the staff worked very well and I was completely satisfied with all they did. I understood the need for the spiral taps, if they hadn't done it, and she had it, it could have killed her.

So after four hours of screaming baby tests, The NICU specialist (who was wonderful, by the way) sat and talked with me. He explained some of the results while we still had to wait 24 hours to get the rest. I asked when we could take her home.

He got a funny look on his face like, 'I thought someone told you...' Apologetically he stated that she needed large doses of antibiotics and to be monitored very closely. With that a mandatory 48 hour hospital stay was required.

My poor baby. My comfort was the thought that she would never remember any of this. I, on the other hand, needed heavy sedation. I would never forget how scared I was at the thought of her being so sick.

I snapped these picture just before she was sent home, she looks a whole lot better than she did before.




And in light of severe 48 hour hospital boredom I took a picture of my stress food. I through the Pepsi in and labeled it Migraine food. I was lucky enough to get one of those too! It tasted gross, but I was desperate!


In the end Lylah Rose was diagnosed with Enterovirus. She is doing much better and has not fevered since we left the hospital. She has a rash that covers her body which is common with this virus, and from all the crying she popped some blood vessels in her eyes. So they are slightly bloodshot and red. Other than that, she is still perfect and cute and we are so lucky to have her.

In other news...

Savannah & Rheesah started school. Savannah is in the fourth grade and Rheesah the second. Savannah is going to play in the Orchestra and has picked the Cello as her instrument. They both will still continue on the piano.


Kehlton then got sick. That poor kid does everything like a boy! With force! Including throwing up! I don't have a picture, lets be thankful for that.

Have I ever stated how much I dislike that dog on my pillows!!! Ugh! I am sure Taco Bell needs better Refried Beans. I should sell him to them!

Lylah is finding her eyesight and has looked like this all day today.

21 comments:

Becky said...

Awww-I'm so sorry you had to go threw that and little baby. I'm glad to hear she is safe now! I would cry my eyes out too.

Danielle @ We Have It All said...

OhMyGosh!! All that for a little tiny thing, she is so sweet! I'm so sorry you had to go through so much - it had to be so hard on you. Good to hear she is better. Sorry about your little guy though. I hope he gets better soon!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for join Friday Follow New Friends,
Hope you get more friends here, and also hope to see you again next week.
Have a great day.
Nan

Kendra said...

Oh, boy, what a nightmare! I am so sorry that happened to your sweet lil girl and to you 'm glad everything turned out ok!

Heather said...

Oh wow!! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm glad to hear that your sweet babygirl is feeling better. I found you through Relax and Surf Sunday and am your newest follower. I look forward in getting to you know through your blogs.

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

Thanks for linking up at Relax & Surf Sunday.

This had to be one of the toughest things you have gone through. Wow I wouldn't have thought a fever would get that reaction. I'm so glad they took precautions and ran all the test.

I big HUGS to you and little Lylah!!

I'm following you.

Colleen

LeeAnn said...

Ohmygosh what a horrible experience! I am so glad your little Lylah is doing better. I can usually remain calm while my kids are going through something awful, but I always break down afterwards. I don't think I would have been able to handle all of that though. Your poor little baby!

Thanks for linking up with us for Relax & Surf Sunday. I'm following your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm your newest follower from surfin Sunday. Wow what a week! *Hugs*.

Tracy
Life of This SAHM

www.audsbabydays.blogspot.com

Tigger said...

What a week for you! Thank goodness you took her in to be looked at, and thank goodness they found a diagnosis!

Poor Kelton! I haven't had any girls yet, but I have decided boys must always "go big or go home" when it comes to being sick and the whole barf department. I go through several bed changes and outfits when my boys decide to be sick.

Good luck my dear!!!
You are such an awesome mom. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad your baby is doing better! Found you on Surfing Sunday :)

Things Sent My Way said...

I'm so terribly sorry that you had to experience that, but you are right, she won't remember, and it's over now. On to the next, I see. I hope all feel better back to school goes well. Thanks for coming by, commenting and following. I'm following you too!

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry your baby was so sick. I am glad she is doing better. That would be so hard.
As for my last comment about the haircuts, I thought you might be kidding but I wasn't sure. It is funny now that I know for sure. :)

Me (aka Danielle) said...

Oh my goodness! Poor little nuggets! It's hard to have sick kids!

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I look forward to hearing from you again.

Doreen McGettigan said...

What a beautiful family you have. And oh; the poor baby. I know what you mean she will never remember and you will never forget! I am a new visitor and follower from somewhere; not quite sure how I got here. I hope when you have the chance you will stop by for a visit.

smashbravo said...

Hello and Happy Sunday!! We are following you back and very happy that the baby is feeling and looking much better. She is adorable :)

Enjoy your day with them and take care of that big crew.

Erin Wallace said...

Poor little one. I used to practice pediatrics, and I know it is so hard to see these things done to your little one, but they were doing what they had to do. So many things can cause fevers in wee ones. But I'll tell you, if she were mine, I might have ended up in the "chill out room" (how demeaning, BTW).

Here on a Sunday for the Friday blog hops. Now following you - hope to see you at Dropped Stitches.

xo Erin
droppedstitches72.blogspot.com

Hollywood Glamorous said...

Poor baby, so glad she's better and she's adorable as with the rest of your family. My wishes are with this darling cutie.
New follower from Lucas's Journey. I am getting started as a terminal blogger and would appreciate if you could follow, if you have the time.

Amanda
http://hollywoodglamorous.blogspot.com

Sassy Style Cards said...

Aw hope your baby gets better. Thats a hard thing. Found you on blog hop and followed :)

www.sassystylecards.blogspot.com

My Life Under the Bus said...

You poor thing - yes it is a blessing they don't remember any of it ! I am glad you are all on the mend. I am also veryh jealous because we don't start school until sept ! green...green...green

JoDee :*) said...

Glad she is doing better!!!! I can honestly say, I've been there (at least a very similar place) and it is a tough place to be! Congrats you made it through! Loves to you and all the rest too!

Melissa Stuff said...

Oh, I know how that is. I had a very unexpected ICU stint with my then 3 year old this time last year. Thank goodness everything was okay for us too.