
Now, being that I am poor white trash from the sticks, Chicken Cordon Bleu is right there fancy with other things like fine china and napkins. Can you even serve this dish on a paper plate? To say I was extremely nervous about last nights dish is putting it mildly. Then I read that it was made with Corn Flakes. That made me feel better, although I thought for sure Judge Jeremy would rip this one apart. Okay, lets see...
I started out by using a rubber mallet to flatten the chicken because I did not have a meat texturizer. After washing all the paint off, it worked good as new. See, I told you I was white trash. I continued on putting it all together and realized I needed toothpics. I couldn't find them. I thought to myself, that it can't be that hard. I will just do without and it was no problem.
I had them in the oven when Jeremy came home awaiting anxiously for his meal. He seems to like my new adventure of expanding my cooking skills. The timer went off and I had a thought that maybe they were dried out. I really started to panic! I hadn't thought to check them as they were cooking! What if my oven cooked faster than the recipe stated? What if I had set the time or temp wrong? I was in a panic! I sent Jeremy to check while I stood in the corner rubbing my forhead with Corn Flake Fingers.
Oh, I worry way too much and I totally don't give myself enough credit! Jeremy loved the dish! I totally loved it and the kids did too! It was not dried out at all the recipe was perfect!
As a side note, I served them with fresh veggies, and twice stuffed potatoes. Yummy! I had never done the twice stuffed potatoes, and they were a huge hit!!
I can totally make Chicken Cordon Bleu! And, I skipped the paper plates this time.
8 Servings Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
Ingredients
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 slices lean deli ham (1 ounce each)
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup fat-free milk
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
SAUCE:
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions
Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with pepper; place a ham slice and 3tablespoons of cheese down the center of each piece. Roll up and tuck in ends; secure with toothpicks. Pour milk into a shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine the cornflakes, paprika, garlic powder and salt. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in crumbs.
Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the soup, sour cream and lemon juice until blended; heat through. Discard toothpicks from chicken; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 tablespoons sauce) equals 306 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 990 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 41 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
No comments:
Post a Comment