Friday, May 25, 2012

Walgging For Breast Cancer Awareness


Snooki's pregnant and announcing that she is having a boy. Me? Not a Snooki fan and I can't see her as a Mother.

At least she won't have much clothing to remove when she breast feeds.

That is totally not what I wanted to write about.

I did my first 10k. Yep. I was nervous. Rheesah waited for me at the finish line. Isn't she so cool! Love. Her! It was the Best. Run. Ever! There was one minor point in mile three when I was walgging...

I don't really jog, but it's way more than walking, so walgging is the only phrase I could think of that really describes it. Anyway...

There was one minor point in my walgging mile three that I was crossing a bridge. I looked forward knowing I was only half way into it, but there was a nagging decision at that very point.

Keep going another three long miles....

Or plunge to my death over this bridge.

Luckily I had just paid $100 for my running shoes and I wanted to get my moneys worth.

And they were pink. I didn't want to get them dirty.

And it was for Aunt Peg. If she could go through Chemo and sweaty fake strap on boobs in 110 degree Southern Utah heat, then surely I could finish this race.

At that thought, I didn't waver again.

The Best THING EVER about the 10k...
I found everyone took special pity on the chubby girl.

Like weird hold-my-hand-and-tell-me-that-I'm-pretty pity. I'd been training, and well, I mentioned the awesome pink shoes. Totally had the tunes going...I mean, I looked serious.

But then there was this guy...

35ish  55ish, fit, barely breaking a sweat.

He says to me around mile 1.8, "You could just walk. You burn as many calories as jogging and it's less impact on your knees."

Yep. That guy. I throw him a dirty look. I have enough 'you can't do it' voices in my head. I didn't want to hurt him, but it was definitely on the list.

Which reminds me. I need to take "Highway to Hell' and 'No Air' off my running walgging playlist.

My retort to the geriatric jogger was, "You say that to all the girls here?"

With a smile of course, because I don't want to be rude. "It's about self-fulfillment. You know, goals." Totally thinking about Aunt Peg. "Thanks for the advice though."

Another totally good thing...

I wasn't even that sore. Which was really funny because all my other family members that did race (love you skinny skanks!), couldn't move all day! Then they were even worse the next day.

Don't get me wrong! I felt it. C'mon! 6.4 miles of walgging, who wouldn't?! But it was more like a 'just had a longer work-out' sore.

So glad I did it, and I am totally doing it again.


Breast Cancer Awareness. I love all you fighters! Props!

5 comments:

Shantel said...

Thanks for hoping by through the blog hop! Came over to jump on board! You are on the radio that's so neat! I interned when I was in high school and loved it! Congrats on your 10K! Have a great weekend and I'll be back! :)

Lothiriel said...

Oh my gosh! What an ass!!! Don't you you just want to kick him in the nuts?!!

Cool that you did that run! I wish to do one before I die. I just hate running or walking. I love to dance, though!

Let's get back on the blogging horse!!

Rach said...

Great job girl it sounds like you have the runner high/bug. It was so nice to talk to you. again great job!!!

cheeky rose said...

Congratulations on completing the run

Liz said...

Good job!