I was with my Dad and my older sister. We were headed down to the local grocery story. It was the best years of my life.
I was five.
How do I say this respectfully....? We were dirt poor. We were a family with limited means. Dad worked really hard. If it wasn't for his hunting skills, we would have starved every winter.
We parked in the parking lot, and Dad turns around to warn my six year old sister and me. He sternly points at both of our noses and remarks. "Don't ask for anything or I will bring you back out to the car to sit!"
Dad meant business and we knew it.
We proceed to get out of the car. Wouldn't you know it, there was a hot dog vendor right outside the door. I'm holding Dad's hand on one side, and my older sister was on the other. I lean back to holler at her.
"Andrhea! Ask Dad for a hot dog!"
"No! You do it! Didn't you hear what he said? He'll make me sit in the car!"
No! Your his favorite! He'd make me sit in the car if I asked. Not you!"
She stops talking for a second. I know she is considering it. It was like leading a thirsty dog to water.
"Dad...." she starts out quietly. "Ummm....Can we....Umm...Have a Hot Dog?"
She did it. I can't believe she fell for it. Hook. Line. Sinker.
The vain in my Dad's forehead pops out. His jaw tightens. I feel the steam rising from his clutched hand.
"What did I just tell you in the car? Didn't I say, 'Don't Ask For Anything?' Come on! Back to the car!"
He takes her hand and starts to pull her back to the back seat to seat belt her back in. He rolls down the windows, secures her in and with strict instructions tell her that we'll be back out in 15 minutes.
I stay were we were with my arms folded watching the drama play out. "Its too bad." I think to myself. "She should really learn to follow instructions."
Dad then turns around from the car leaving the crying sister in the back seat. He takes my hand again and just before we walk inside, I turn around to the crying sister in the poor station wagon, stick out my tongue and wave with a 'Ha! Ha! Ha!' as Daddy and I go shopping.
We had a great time. Wasn't I a dish?
It was a small town and no one wanted to rob our poor station wagon. She'd be fine.
2 comments:
I remember when we were young and the warnings we would get about asking for things. We were broke as a joke all the time, especially with medical bills for Little Brother #2
HAhahahahaha. I drew on my desk one time and when I realized it wouldn't come off I wrote my sister's name all over it in "her handwriting". I remember when my sister found it and she vehemently denied it. She had to clean it anyways :D
Post a Comment