Monday, January 18, 2010

Memory Monday - The Candy Stripers Surprise

This post could go in two directions. Because I try to be a cool Mo, I will try to keep it reverent and appropriate. However, I have to quote that one rude redneck guy that is always saying, 'I don't care who you are, that there is just funny, right there...*tobacco spit*...

I was sixteen years old. I had wanted to spread my wings a bit and find out more about the hospital world. I was considering a medical career and thought that becoming a hospital volunteer would give me a good idea if this is where I would want to spend time on my education. Good intentions, right?

I told the volunteer facilitator specifically my goals and that I really wanted to be in an area that gave me a good idea of what treating the sick and afflicted was really like. The last time I had done this, they stuck me in the Snack Bar because I had disclosed that my family had owned a restaurant. Great! I only learned that Doctors don't eat as healthy as I had thought.

Anyway, They gave me the traditional white apron with the horizontal red stripes and put me in the recovery room. They warned me that in the recovery room, I would see things that were not only highly confidential, but be quite alarming to someone that has never really considered what may happen in surgeries and especially when people are coming of heavy medication.

My duties were pretty predictable, please fill an ice bag, help me take Mr Hip Replacement to his room, go update the family on the room number, etc.

Sometimes we would have one surgery, other days we would twenty depending on the Doctors schedules. It was busy and nearly time to go home. One of the nice nurses asked me to fill a large ice bag and put it on bed #3's hip. They did not use names, for which I am thankful. No problem, I can totally handle this, I thought, I so had this job down pat. I take the ice bag, fill it to the perfect level go to Mr #3 and throw the sheet back.

I HAD NO IDEA THE PATIENTS WERE NAKED!! Seriously??? When I was twelve and had my tonsils out, I did not have to be undressed!!! This guy was not like, Mattew Maconahay hot, he was more like Jack Nicholson! I was so freaked out, I covered him back up before anyone had saw that I saw, Put the ice bag on his knee and grabbed my stuff and ran out of there leaving a flurry of red candy cane stripes behind me! It was not until the shock wore off that I realized that I had iced a hip replacements knee.

Lets just say a medical career was not for me. I much prefer a career where the client remains completely clothed.

6 comments:

Jon & Bridget said...

This is so funny! Thanks for sharing :) BTW... you inspire me also Mrs. Crafty!

Project Maniac said...

That's funny. At least you did remember to put the ice bag on him instead of dropping it on the floor and running.

Kimi said...

I would have just died! At least you had the sense to finish your job. I'd have drop the ice and ran.

Heidi said...

People would have totally known I'd saw, because I'd probably screamed being so shocked and all. How embarrassing that would have been. I agree with Kim, the ice would have been on the floor.
You have the best stories!!

Tigger said...

That is hilarious! I had a very similar experience my first day on the floor as a CNA . . . I don't think I will ever forget that day.
Oh the joys and awkwardness of the medical/health care profession.

Lothiriel said...

LOL!!

I worked in the administration part of a hospital. I thought I'd be spared from seeing stuff like this. I was WRONG!

However, I lost all modesty the day I gave birth and my legs were wide open for everyone to see including med students. aahh...motherhood.